Open WOD 14.5: 21-18-15-12-9-6-3
- Thrusters (95#)
- Bar-facing Burpees
This was brutal for me, and it wasn’t a lung issue like most folk… for me it was my lower back. Since I can’t front rack, there is a lot of stress on my back which apparently hasn’t completely recovered from the other week (stupid running with a 35# plate). I had to stop and rest my back (laying on the ground) more often than not.
But I finished! And with that, brings the 2014 Open to a close.
One of these years I will actually be ready for the Open and improve from the previous year. As of recently, between not getting to the gym regularly recent years and eating like crap, especially during the holidays, I just have never felt ready for the Open… but I still do it.
Talk about chaos. The whole 14.5 announcement ticket/shirt/bus thing has been a mess. But they said that we could get a shirt this afternoon from SJ location (only). So I decided to finally go down there during lunch for my first class at the SJ location…
- Power Snatch (95/65)
I scaled to 75# and using 25# DBs for shoulder press. It was nice to see some old faces while I was there (Jason and Shellie, Kurt, and Coach Karo). I did pick up a 14.5 shirt, and I also got a free lifting belt as well thanks to a visiting vendor. I could have used the belt for 14.3!
WOD #1: “Flight Simulator” – Double-unders
WOD #2: 3 Rounds
- 200m Farmer Walk (24kg KB)
- 20 burpees (to target)
- #1 – This ended up being 10 minutes of double-under practice. Which I really needed and actually finally started getting back into a rhythm of single-double and I think I even managed a double-double one or twice.
- #2 – 15 min cut-off… We did this with a partner, so to keep things moving, I opted to move on whenever my partner finished the Rx work. So the last 2 rounds I only did 3x50m farmer walks. And when he finished 200m, I would stop my burpees, which was usually around 15 except for the last round.
Open 14.4: 14 min AMRAP
- 60 Calorie Row
- 50 Toes-2-Bar
- 40 Wall Ball (20#)
- 30 Cleans (135#(
- 20 Muscle-Ups
Results: 78 reps (row + 18 toes-2-bar)
Toes-2-bars suck! That is all I have to say.
Strength WOD: Jerk 3-3-3-3-3
WOD: 3 rounds
- Run 400m
- 10 Shoulder-2-overhead (135#)
- Jerks: 95-115-135, Shoulder Press (10 rep): 65-85
- Metcon: 7:47 @ 65# and 400m row
I tweaked my back during the start of the warm-up (400m run w/35# plate) and had to go easy the rest of the class. While I could do the jerk (it only hurt when I bent over), I didn’t want to push it. Thats why I switched to shoulder press, and then did a light weight and rowing for the metcon.
On the upside, I did do the workout and finish in under 10min. I also got a ticket to the 14.5 event in SF!
Open WOD 14.3: 8 minute AMRAP…
- 10 deadlifts (135 lbs)
- 15 box jumps (24 inch)
- 15 deadlifts (185 lbs)
- 15 box jumps
- 20 deadlifts (225 lbs)
- 15 box jumps
- 25 deadlifts (275 lbs)
- 15 box jumps
Results: 68 reps, that’s 13 deadlifts at 225#.
Luckily for me, the standard for the box jump allowed for step up/down. But this was still a painful workout… my legs were still tight from doing deadlifts on Tue and as soon as I started the workout, my back also started to tighten up pretty quickly. I actually took 30s to lay down to let some pressure off my back before starting 225# deadlifts, that really helped.
I was hoping to get a little further, as the heavy lifting I’m better at than the metcon stuff… but my back just wasn’t having it.
WOD: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of…
- KB Swing (32kg)
- Burpee Box Jumps
- GHD Situps
Results: DNF, 10-9-8-7 in 16:35, 24kg KB
Let me just say…I hate and suck at Burpee Box Jumps.
Those took up the majority of my time, which is why I only finished through round 7. But that still was more than 1/2 way completed with 34 out of the prescribed 55 reps. I also went lighter on the KB since my back was pretty tight from the deadlifts yesterday.
Open WOD 14.2:
- 3 min to complete 2 rounds:
- 10 Overhead Squat (95#)
- 10 Chest-to-bar Pull-ups
- If you completed 2 rounds… next 3 min to complete 2 rounds:
- 12 Overhead Squat (95#)
- 12 Chest-to-bar Pull-up
- If you completed 2 rounds… 3 min to complete 2 round: 14, 14
- If you completed 2 rounds… 3 min to complete 2 round: 16, 16
Open Results: 14 reps in 3 minutes
- 3 minutes: 10 overhead squats + 4 chest-to-bar (and many attempts)
- 3 minutes: 10 overhead squats + 10 kipping
- 3 minutes: 10 overhead squats + 10 kipping + 4 overhead
Since I knew this was going to be a short workout based on the Open standards, I opted to to continue working. The coaches said they wanted us to scale to be able to complete 3 rounds, but since I couldn’t scale for the Open, I did what I could and then continued on to make 3 rounds total.
Benchmark WOD “Amanda”: 9-7-5 reps of…
- Squat Snatch (135#)
Results: 10:08, subbed burpee pull-ups and scaled to 85#
Pre-WOD work for the squat snatch, I got up to 115# but had to power snatch and then squat.